VP of Engineering
VP of Engineering
Toronto, Ontario - Permanent
Our client is a division of one of the worlds largest mobile commerce platforms which produces over 2 billion transactions a year, the majority of which occur on mobile apps. They pioneered and are the leader of QR based mobile payments in India, with over 300 million customers, they started out by offering mobile recharge and utility bill payments, and today they offer a marketplace to consumers on their mobile apps.
Their scale offers a very unique set of challenges and they are innovation around data/capabilities essential to scale even higher. They work with much longer horizons and accept trial and failure as part of building the right solution. They are about solving problems that have little or no precedent. These challenges require lots of creative thinking based upon a very deep understanding of how software works. You should have a very high degree of comfort in a programming language of your choice.
We offer a flexible work schedule and you get your choice of tools(both hardware and software) and most importantly the opportunity to work on tough problems with the brightest minds around you!
What You Are Expected To Do:• Lead teams to design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software
• Manage teams to build back-end systems supporting mobile wallet, payment, and chat following Agile development
• Have a solid understanding of concurrency, distributed computing, messaging and algorithm, and knowing the trade-offs between frequent delivery and technologies
• Oversee the development of tools and encouraging/empowering a team to contribute to open source wherever possible
• Mentor the team to adopt problem solving as a way of life – always go to root cause!
Must Have Skills:
• Bachelors or preferably Master's Degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or 10+ years equivalent experience in software/platform development
• Experience managing/leading highly technical teams of expert level software engineers to deliver high quality engineering projects & products
• Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Scala, Java, Ruby, Python, C/C++ or Go-Lang
• The ability to quickly learn new technologies and programming paradigms and to understand that there is a time and a place for any/all technologies
• Past experience in the implementation of platform components such as RESTful APIs, Pub/Sub Systems, Database Clients, etc.,
• Having strong fundamentals in data structure, algorithm and object oriented programming is imperative
• RDBM's expereince with SQL and NoSQL Databases would be an asset
• Hands on experience working with cloud providers, AWS, GCP, Azure, PCF, etc.,
• Some past experience in contributing to open source projects, with a genuine interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed