Toronto, Ontario - Permanent
Our client is a publicly traded gaming company that specializes in video games and e-sports. They reach over 50 million gamers monthly via their own digital media properties and live events with unique, curated, and user-generated posts across websites, digital properties and social media channels world wide. They also own and operate Canada's largest gaming expo!
They are currently seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join a talented Analytics team who will be responsible for designing and building the company’s next gen real time monitoring systems and data pipelines in GCP and AWS. The ideal person is someone who cares deeply about system scalability and performance and is excited to process massive volumes of data as we begin collecting first party data from hundreds of millions of pageviews per month.
About Your Duties:
• Be a technology visionary; Explore and champion available technologies and design solutions to continuously improve our data quality, workflow reliability and scalability
• Build a testing and measurement system; You will be a critical senior member of our Analytics team, building out a sophisticated testing and measurement system in GCP or AWS, which captures revenue, engagement, and page speed metrics in real time, for hundreds of millions of monthly page views. This is a critical system required by the development team to be able to understand the impact of ad code and page optimization improvements made. The ability for the development team to make speedy and empirically-driven progress hinges upon the successful rollout of this system.
• Build data pipelines; You will build out and maintain data pipelines which capture millions of dollars of revenue data from more than a dozen different data sources, which feed into various executive and operational level reports and dashboards, informing practically every single business decision made by the Monetization department of the company. Data reliability, data accuracy, and systems resiliency are all critical factors which you will be helping improve.
• Ad-hoc querying and analysis; You will be called upon to leverage your SQL, Python and R skills to query the data warehouse for ad-hoc requests, creating timely reports required for making pressing business and technology decisions.
• You are a problem solver; you can make your way into the abyss and then find your way out again. You know how to make good decisions with limited information, and correct your course as needed.
• You are comfortable with the unknown; we are well-funded and organized, yet still have many exciting characteristics of a startup charting new paths. You need to be comfortable working in an environment that will continue to evolve.
• You are a self-starter; you relish the opportunity to identify needs and take action, without being explicitly told to.
• You are a person of integrity; honesty, trust and ethical decision-making are at the core of who we are. These values are important to you and you model them in your decision making and in your interactions with colleagues, customers, and stakeholders.
• You have a growth mindset; you are continually honing your craft, and keeping up with the best tools for the job.
• You are a great communicator; you shine when you are able to pass on knowledge and gather requirements from stakeholders. You are able to articulate your thoughts very clearly, with various audiences such as managers, peers, and clients.
Must Have Skills:
• At least 5 years of experience as a Data Engineer (or equivalent), including at least 2 years in a role working on a system processing billions of daily events
• At least 2 years of experience designing and architecting real-time data gathering systems in AWS (Redshift, Kinesis) or GCP (BigQuery, Dataflow)
• Expert SQL skills
• Expert skills in Python or R
• Understanding of ad serving platforms and online advertising systems is a major asset