Senior Engineer (Python/Django)
Senior Engineer (Python/Django)
Toronto, Ontario - Permanent
The Senior Engineer contributes to the codebase by following set standards and successfully completing stories while maintaining effective communication within product/engineering squads and tribes, as well as with other internal and applicable external stakeholders.
- Be a hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features supporting the engineering organization's technical strategy.
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- Provide code review and empathetic, thoughtful feedback to peers.
- Build and maintain internal and external tools and services related to product/engineering squad’s goals.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team, including product management, to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Collaborate with all senior and staff level engineers to explore options and help define architecture and design across the engineering organization.
- Write documentation on what the squad plans to do, is doing and has completed.
- Documentation should be easily accessible and should lead to productive discussions within the squad and/or other teams.
- Identify areas for improvement and innovation within the squad ecosystem by investigating and proposing new technologies and/or best practices, and leading the charge on implementing them.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
- Ownership of codebase, maintaining it and ensuring it runs consistently.
- Participate in an on-call support rotation
- Action-Oriented - Maintains a sense of urgency to complete a task and seeks information rather than waiting for it.
- Problem-Solve - Assesses situations quickly and provides creative solutions for resolution.
- Innovative - Fosters an environment where creative thinking is embraced and encouraged.
- Collaboration - Process of working with multiple individuals to complete a task or achieve a goal.
- Open-minded - Willing to consider new ideas.
- Resilience/Resourceful - The capacity to recover quickly from difficulties.
- Operations/Process-Minded - Focuses on the tasks that are completed day-to-day to ensure strategic goals are able to be achieved in the most efficient and scalable way possible.
- Uphold Company Values - Actions are tied to company values to ensure focus on goals and objectives.
- Positive Outlook - Generates excitement, enthusiasm and commitment by identifying how work performed supports Company’s values.
- Empathy - Shows care and concern for another's situation.
- Influence Without Authority - Ability to get others to willingly cooperate and engage, rather than following directives because you're in a position of authority.
- Technical Capability - Ability to identify how systems and technology can improve ways of working.
Must Have Skills:
- 5+ years experience as an engineer across multiple environments.
- Knowledgeable of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms
- Display a strong proficiency with one or multiple backend programming languages.
- Ability to work in all areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
- Ability to provide support for any pieces of codebase owned and also understand the codebase with minimal direction from peers or more senior engineers.
- Proven ability to work on implementation independently.
- Strong experience working with relational databases like Postgres and mySQL
- Knowledge of various API paradigms such as REST and RPC and can implement them within the services you are developing on.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship skills.
- IDE’s, debuggers, open-source tools
- Jaeger, Grafana, Prometheus, Concourse, Kafka, SumoLogic, Sentry, PagerDuty, Confluence, Jira, Google Suite, GitHub. Terraform, Kubernetes
- AWS: EC2, S3, Cloudfront, RedShift, RDS