Staff Engineer (Python/Django)
Staff Engineer (Python/Django)
Toronto, Ontario - Permanent
We are looking for a Staff Engineer Backend to own systems across our engineering department that drive business objectives. You will collaborate with management on vision setting, technology direction, architecture, and best practices. The Staff Engineer will contribute to the codebase following set standards and successfully completing stories and have the ability to provide support for any part of the codebase; also able to understand the codebase with minimal direction from others. You will have ownership of code standards, unit and integration testing practices, and technical roadmap. You are a technical educator not a technical dictator.
Work with the Product Management team to ensure requirements are defined correctly. Ability to successfully architect complex systems and collaborate with more junior engineers to ensure proper implementation of design. You will be an educator who can take the complex and explain it terms that all audiences understand. Your greatest work will be through others, as you help people level up their technical systems.
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- You will be an educator, a mentor and coach. People will come to you for advice because you are approachable and you are able to convey your points in a language that they understand.
- Build and maintain tools and services related to product/engineering squad’s goals.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Independently identify areas for improvement and innovation within the squad ecosystem, and lead the charge on making those changes.
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features through the entire stack.
- Ownership of codebase, maintaining it and ensuring it runs consistently.
- Collaborate with all senior and staff level engineers to explore options and help define architecture and design across the engineering organization.
- Ability to move between squads to devise architecture and assist projects in moving forward.
- Train engineers to work with new architecture.
- Function as a leader within the engineering department, providing mentoring and training to all levels of engineering team members.
- Function as internal expert for technology speciality and educate the team on new and changing technologies.
- Be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase The Company as a leader in technology.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
Must Have Skills:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- 12+ years experience as an engineer across multiple environments.
- Knowledgeable of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms.
- Production Experience and strong skills with Python/Django
- Multiple other backend programming languages i.e., Kotlin, GoLang
- Ability to work in all areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
- Ability to provide support for any pieces of codebase owned and also understand the codebase with minimal direction from peers or more senior engineers.
- Proven ability to work on implementation independently.
- Strong experience working with relational databases like Postgres and mySQL
- Knowledge of various API paradigms such as REST and RPC and can implement them within the services you are developing on.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship skills.
- Monolith using Django/Python.
- The Frontend is React.
- We are building a modular monolith and where appropriate extract specific domains to move to Services currently using Kotlin and Go.
- Our Database is Postgres and Redis for caching.
- We also use Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka.