Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Toronto, Ontario - Permanent
We are a market leader in Transportation Management Software. We’re a startup disrupting the $700+ billion dollar trucking industry, leading the shift to SaaS while revolutionizing the way trucking companies sell, service and innovate. We are a hyper-growth Y Combinator backed company with a “more human, less corporate” culture that is built around doing work that matters, winning as a team and celebrating success.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer who is looking to make impact by joining us as the Data team's first hire!
You will collaborate directly with the CTO in building from scratch a Data Engineering team. We see the future of our Data team empowering product and business teams by enabling data-informed capabilities, insights, and intelligence. The Data Engineering team will be responsible for deploying and maintaining a variety of scalable technologies for extracting and transforming a multitude of data sources. The team develops accurate sources of truth data and clean data taxonomies for active usage across the organization.
Technologies that we use (that you'll be exposed to):
• Backend: Golang, NodeJS
• Frontend: React, Redux, Websockets
• Database: Postgresql, Redis, DynamoDB, Elastic Search
• Infrastructure: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, GitOps, Flux, Jenkins, DataDog, PagerDuty
• Others: Kafka, Debezium
Future exciting things that we're looking into (that you'll inform decisions on):
• Machine Learning, OCR, AI (Python, PyTorch, etc)
• ETL (Airflow, PySpark, etc)
• NOSQL (ArangoDB, Cassandra, etc)
• Serverless architecture
• We are interested in more than just your in-office performance, that’s why we host friends and family events once every 2 months to get to know each other even better.
• We have flexible vacation and summer hours because we know achieving your best work has a lot to do with true work-life balance.
• Love good eats and fun events? Our open-space brick and beam office is surrounded by cool restaurants and venues including St. Lawrence Market.
• We are a mere 10-minute walk from Union Station. Easy accessibility via TTC, GO, Gardiner Expressway or the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail for the avid cycling types.
• Our company events and field trips cater to meet a wide variety of interests (think: oyster shucking, sports teams, trivia nights, art parties, gaming, needlepoint, trips to Toronto Island, gardening, bocce ball, karaoke, and pretty much anything else you can imagine or would like to suggest).
• We care SO much about our team we have a fantastic Lead dedicated specifically to Communications and Culture that is ensuring your employment here is the best place you'll ever work!
• Extended Healthcare Plan (Medical, Disability, Dental & Vision)
• Flexible Vacation
• Training & Development commitment
• Awards (Team and individual)
• Stock Option Plan
The cherry on top of the cherry: There happens to be real Banksy under our office!
Must Have Skills:
• 4+ years of development experience, ideally working with Python, PyTorch, PySpark, etc
• Data warehousing experience - ideally, experience with ETLing tools, metadata management, data cleaning and conforming, schema evolution.
• Experience consuming from APIs across various protocols: REST, SOAP, GraphQL, etc.
• Experience with SQL
• Proficient in Version Control Systems like Git / SVN / Mercurial
• Experience with any project management tool like JIRA / Asana
• A degree from a real school (Not Greendale Community College - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyFX480S6jM)
Nice to Have Skills:
• You had previously built a data lake / data warehouse from scratch
• Experience with Looker
• Previous experience in a hyper growth startup
• Open Source development experience