Principal Engineer (Tech Lead)
Principal Engineer (Tech Lead)
This job allows you to work remotely
Our client is an innovative e-commerce shop that is looking to disrupt and fix the cross-border marketplace. They provide the best prices with tiny shipping costs and are able to get you products at the best prices by cutting out the middleman and connecting you with the factories directly.
They are hiring and growing enormously, consistently doubling year over year. They are also backed by the same folks that are behind Tesla, SpaceX and Wish.com. They are building out their foundational team to launch the company into the next phase of growth, and are looking to continuously improve and reshape the online shopping experience for every day consumers.
- The Position: Principal Engineer - Tech Lead - Architect
- Reporting to the Director of Engineer
- No people management but leading/mentoring a team of 3-4
We are looking for a Senior technologist that can operate as a Technical Lead, Principal Engineer, or Software Architect. The term architect isn't quite used internally as our client believes that every engineer should be thinking about architecture and their own designs end to end vs it being a single person's responsibility. This is a small team of engineers with most folks having 10+ years of experience. They build using modern software development techniques (DDD. continuous delivery, TDD, distributed architecture patterns, etc). They also focus on outcome driven vs feature driven engineering, work in a cross functional manner and run continuous kanban cycles vs strict scrum practices.
As a Tech Lead, you will be helping deliver products and customer value, not features, by determining architecture patterns based on how our client functions as a business. You will be an advisor across different functional teams to champion approaches that will solve short term needs while setting the company up for rapid growth in their long term vision. You will have a tangible, visible impact on the business and their impact to scale rapidly along with a seat at the table to help make big decisions.
As they develop the next-gen of e-commerce marketplaces, you'll have a hand in defining their headless service-oriented approach (React frontend, Django backend, GraphQL API's) that will power their seller portals, consumer buyer API's, and data structures/pipelines to feed their data science team to allow for scale.
The right candidate will be someone that is hands-on and motivated to work from DDD to implementation, documentation, tooling and test automation. You will help ensure that the client has well defined short-term delivery and strategic engineering goals for the future. You will also mentor engineers and help guid close stakeholders from other disciplines such as Product and Design.
- Competitive Salary Package that includes stock options and bonus
- Remote friendly culture (even beyond COVID measures)
- Excellent opportunity to be a part of a well backed startup with tons of upside for growth
- Autonomy, creative freedom, and working alongside a team of rockstars
Must Have Skills:
More about why you'll succeed here:
- Technology Enthusiast: You have a huge breadth of experience across tools, frameworks, languages and can easily communicate between trade-offs and the appropriate design for every problem. Build on your experience to adopt new - technologies that can push us forward.
- Product Focused Engineer: You care about the end customer and want to deliver a successful product vs a specific feature. You are curious about the business, how your work will affect the rest of the operations of the company and want
to drive towards the best possible solution for all stakeholders at all times.
- Doing things the right way: We're a strong team with deep philosophies on what it takes to be a software craftsman. You'll learn from us, we'll learn from you and only strengthen our approach.
- Leadership & Influence: You want to be in a position to make hard decisions, lead & inspire teams forward to be better and achieve more.
Python / Django
React + Material UI
Ansible & Terraform
Stitch, Airflow, BigQuery for Datawarehousing
The ideal candidate will have ample experience with each of the above. There is some flexibility but as a Tech Lead/Principal Architect - these should all be within your range of expertise.