Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Permanent
Our client is a communications platform that empowers deskless employees and drives better outcomes for businesses. Backed by the power of behavioural science and the highest user ratings in its category, their platform mobilizes non-desk teams by providing the information, inspiration, and insights employees need to exceed expectations and stay connected at work. Leading brands such as Compass Group, Staples, and Margaritaville rely on this relatively small company to boost employee engagement, exceed sales goals, and transform the customer experience.
They’re looking for a Principal Engineer to guide the technical direction of their product, and own the scale and security of the platform.
As a Principal Engineer, you will have significant influence over technical decision-making, architecture choices, and coding best practices. You will be responsible for scaling the platform, which includes system architecture, tools, and features. You’ll also be responsible for overall platform security. In addition, you will be providing mentorship and will be responsible for ensuring they are building high quality, robust, and maintainable code. Ideally, you’ll have previous experience building products that handle high-throughput traffic, and you are excited by design patterns, performance, database design, enterprise integrations, security, and DevOps.
Their current code base includes technologies like Ruby, Rails, React, MySQL, Redshift, Redis, Memcached, Sidekiq, Elasticsearch. Aside from proven technologies they’re also experimenting with Python and Go. They have infrastructure services on AWS, GCP, and Azure.
Key Responsibilities:- Architecting, building, deploying and maintaining complex, robust features with our engineers in a collaborative environment
- Continuously improving the scale and stability of our platform with infrastructure recommendations, monitoring tools, and new technologies
- Ensuring security best practices are implemented, enforced, and updated regularly
- Building integrations with other enterprise-level software systems
- Ensuring continuous integration and testing procedures are constantly improving and following the latest best practices
- Participating in retrospective meetings and post-release discussions to identify improvements on process and code implementation
- Mentoring and providing constructive code reviews
Must Have Skills:
- 10+ years of experience building and scaling web applications
- Previous history as a senior developer, architect, or principal engineer (or you’re ready to make the jump)
- Familiarity with industry-wide patterns and practices
- Willingness to collaborate across multiple teams
- Comfort with a variety of testing strategies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills