Tech Lead/Staff Engineer
Tech Lead/Staff Engineer
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely
Our client is on a mission to build an actionable, interoperable regulatory-grade data layer. They're starting by improving the manual and error-prone medical coding and auditing processes at major hospital providers in North America.
They are a team of entrepreneurs, doctors, engineers, and researchers from Harvard, University of Toronto, Vector Institute, Snowflake, and numerous start-ups. They are backed by some of the leading investors globally along with strategic angels across North America - who have previously backed several multi-billion-dollar companies that have gone onto IPO or exit.
They are looking for a Technical Leader who will work across their entire company to develop the engineering teams, build culture, and drive larger organizational goals. This position requires managing a distributed team across North America and South Asia along with the ability to work in the Eastern time zone. There is a possibility that this role will expand to a Director of Engineering role, interest permitting.
Your role and responsibilities will include:
- Driving on-boarding and coaching software and machine learning engineers through the product delivery process;
- Facilitating career growth conversations with direct reports including goal setting, feedback, code reviews, coaching, and mentoring;
- Ensuring team satisfaction and health, continuous growth and learning, and overall alignment across the entire engineering team;
- Developing systems, strategies, high standards and collaborate closely with other stakeholders to deliver business value;
- Building and enforce engineering best practices including design documentation and routine stand-ups; and
- Managing teams at a high level and prioritizing tasks.
Must Have Skills:
As a Technical Leader you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or related field;
- Prior hands-on software engineering experience and a solid understanding of backend systems, infrastructure, databases and large-scale data processing frameworks;
- Demonstrated ability in estimating development time and relevant challenges to delivery;
- Ability to evaluate languages and tools to effectively solve problems;
- Experience evolving nascent systems and processes from functional to scalable; and
- Exceptional collaboration and written and verbal communication skills across distributed teams.
Nice to Have Skills:
Bonus points if you have:
- Developed systems to do or support machine learning
- Experience being exposed to healthcare data and/or other high-security environments