Engineering Manager (Data)
Engineering Manager (Data)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada †-†Permanent
We are seeking an Engineering Manager with a background in Data. You will join the Data team which consists of Business Analytics, Data Engineering, and Data Science. We are looking for a person that is both an Engineer and a Manager.
For the teams you are allocated to, you will own all technology solutions and ensure high-quality code is produced through ensuring adherence to engineering best practices. You will have a hand in all the aspects that go into leading a successful team - including recruiting new and retaining existing team members, owning operating budgets, and working with our engineers and product managers.
- Help lead our initiatives across infrastructure, operations, IT, and security.
- Work with our engineers and product managers in the design and implementation of infrastructure and hosting for our platforms.
- Take the lead on maintaining our PCI compliance and practices.
- Work with external security consultants and internal staff to build a security-first mindset approach to infrastructure and operations.
- Own the operating budgets for all of our Cloud-based hosting and internal IT needs.
- Recruit, retain, and grow great infrastructure and operations engineers and staff.
- Work across the business to establish a lightweight and modern approach to internal IT support and solutions.
- Lead efforts around incident management & Level 2 support in a 24X7 context.
- Own, operate, and maintain all technology solutions for these teams(s).This includes managing the rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- You know that Quality is much more than just tests or peer review and you strive to improve the quality whilst balancing with the need to complete work.
- Keep the teams(s) evolving and learning e.g. put in place development best practices to ensure the team produces high-quality, well-written, and tested code.
- Secure and safeguard data to preserve its integrity, reliability, and availability and ensure appropriate access levels are maintained.
- Create a healthy balance between features and reduction of technical debt.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Product Designers, other Engineering Managers, to ensure the team has a clear direction and priorities and are meeting product requirements.
- Measure metrics like velocity and determine ways to shorten the SDLC by uncovering the teamsí blockers and helping to remove them.
- Drive innovation at documentation, process and project levels, defining new processes and consistently improving existing processes.
- Continue your own growth in usage of technology and working with Humans.
- Lead reviews of architecture and system design. Look for and understand the interconnection between your teams and other teams in Engineering.
- Support the improvement of SDLC, Career Packages, Domain Driven Design, Onboarding, Quality Plans and other projects across Engineering.
- Be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase The Company as a leader in technology.
- You represent well the organization OKRs, principles and values. You may be an industry thought leader, participating in public speaking events and meetups to showcase The Company as a leader in technology.
Must Have Skills:
- Bachelorís degree in computer science with 7+ years experience as an engineer using Python, Java or Kotlin on multiple projects on complex distributed polyglot systems.
- Worked with cloud infrastructure, we use mostly AWS.
- Proven ability to understand and vocalize opinions about coding style, design patterns, architecture, scaling
- Familiar with Object Oriented Design, Domain Driven Design, Event Driven services
- 4+ years experience of engineering management experience leading a team of 4+ people working on a distributed system in Java, Kotlin, or Python.
- Demonstrable experience mentoring and coaching reports to their desired career goals.
- Demonstrable experience with small teams that move fast - all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- Has experience of the Data side of Engineering e.g. Data Modelling, Pipelining, Data Processing Frameworks and Infrastructure
- Has directly worked with Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Analysts
Nice to Have Skills:
- Hands on experience with multiple data platforms and tools (eg. S3, Redshift, Airflow, Spark, Presto, Hive).
- Familiarity of data science analysis and modeling packages in Python and/or R (including Pandas, Scikit-Learn, NumPy, Matplotlib/Seaborn/some other visualization tool).
- Worked on complex distributed polyglot systems as a software engineer and/or Manager