Staff Backend Engineer
Staff Backend Engineer
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada - Permanent
Our client is looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to help them evolve their platform and scale it to hundreds of thousands of users. Your objective would be to lead the members of the infrastructure team to solve performance, stability, scalability, and technical debt challenges.
The ideal candidate is a master of the ins and outs of Ruby on Rails, who strives to build solid architectures and write clean code while collaborating with other engineers to continuously improve all aspects of the development process.
Some of our client's customers include NASA, Microsoft, SAP, Docker and many others.
What you'll accomplish by working with our client:
- Foster a culture of growth, innovation and ownership on the team.
- Architect new backend services to help ZenHub scale for the future.
- Solve challenging problems, such as caching and keeping up-to-date GitHub data.
- Contribute to the ideation, technical design, implementation, and testing of product features.
- Improve technical skills and share knowledge with the rest of the team.
- Adopt best practices in software development and refine our workflow.
- Identify ways our technical stack can improve, prioritize them with the team, and make them happen.
Must Have Skills:
- Proven experience building backend applications in a fast-paced environment from the ground up.
- Quickly gains proficiency when exposed to unfamiliar technical patterns, systems, or languages.
- Has a strong ability to influence without requiring reporting authority. - Identifies technical problems before they arise and executes plans to avoid them.
- Has expertise in designing and scaling web APIs and other backend services.
- Has proficiency with Ruby, NodeJS or other popular server-side programming languages.
- Has recent experience with Ruby on Rails, Express or other web frameworks.
- Has experience with PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis and other types of data-stores, and why they should and should not be used for a given problem.
- Has experience with designing and optimizing data models that are easy to understand and fast to query and update.
- Consistently stays on top of new backend trends, methodologies and best practices.
- Communicates well; works well with others to improve the product every day. Can collaborate with the marketing, product, frontend, and design teams to move the product forward.
Nice to Have Skills:
- Experience building browser extensions or user scripts.
- Experience with deep third-party API integrations (eg. GitHub).