Senior Software Engineer, Android
Senior Software Engineer, Android
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely†
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 87 million registered learners as of June 30, 2021. Coursera partners with over 200 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including Guided Projects, courses, Specializations, certificates, and bachelorís and masterís degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in many high-demand fields, including data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
At Coursera, our goal is to enable our learners to make progress towards their goals anytime, anywhere. As a member of the Mobile team, your work will enable our learners to seamlessly continue their learning experience, whether at home, work, or on the go. In order to do this, we place our learners first, think about their workflows, and develop a product experience that enables and motivates them to complete courses and achieve career goals.
Some sample projects that our Mobile Team recently shipped are:
- Building a logged out user experience which enables learners to browse content & experience before requiring to sign up
- Developing an offline experience for our learners so the app can be used even with no network coverage, such as when in a tunnel or on a flight
- Building in a slick calendar integration to ensure our learners never miss an important deadline
- Implementing smart & personalized push notifications to motivate our learners to stay on track
- Creating delightful UI interactions and animations that makes learning easy and fun
Courseraís android application has seen massive growth, particularly in the last two years. As an Android Mobile Engineer on the team, you will have an opportunity to ship impactful features to millions of learners. Youíll work with the latest Google technologies to enhance the architecture and design that support features to delight our learners. You will work closely with the backend and data science teams to deliver large projects spanning across multiple technology stacks tapping into AI and other emerging technologies. The apps you build will be used by millions of users to learn new skills that will shape their careers and impact their lives in a positive way.
- Collaborate with engineers, designers, and product managers to create innovative and delightful mobile learning experiences on Android that scales across a wide range of devices.
- Define service requirements, design and interact with backend API endpoints that enable fast and efficient user interaction on mobile.
- Ship experiments and run statistical tests to measure the impact of your work. Analyze the impact with PM & DS teams to inform launch decisions
- Analyze trade-offs across options for application technology and architecture. Influence and lead roadmap towards the right technological choices for Coursera.
- Drive high-quality Android app releases and help define metrics to keep regressions in check and enhance engineering excellence.
- Mentor and coach junior team members while implementing best coding practices to ensure the applications are well tested.
- Bachelor's in computer science or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of experience with Java / Kotlin
- Experience in building native Android apps, knowledge of Android development SDKs
- Experience in understanding large code bases, including API design techniques
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full SDLC, from conception, architecture definition, detailed design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance.
- Experience conducting code reviews and participating in design reviews, and knowledge of deploying apps to play store
- Experienced in developing, testing, shipping and supporting a product for hundreds of thousands of users
- A data-informed mindset, you are motivated by success and learnings through experiments and metrics analysis, and enjoy working cross functionally to justify and solve challenging problems.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills with a keen, inquisitive eye for detail along with a passion for high quality standards.
- A strong sense of ownership, high standards and a bias for action
- Experience working in an Agile development process