Sr. Ruby on Rails Engineer
Sr. Ruby on Rails Engineer
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely
At Workday, we help the world’s largest organizations adapt to what’s next by bringing finance, HR, and planning into a single enterprise cloud. We work hard, and we’re serious about what we do. But we like to have fun, too. We put people first, celebrate diversity, drive innovation, and do good in the communities where we live and work.
Workday Strategic Sourcing is looking to add a Senior Software Engineer to help us keep shipping features to customers who love our products.
At Workday we work collaboratively with product to figure out solutions to tough customer challenges. We believe our engineers are a key part of the process which is why we want them to have a voice about how our software is built. It is not uncommon for product to have a high level idea that can rapidly change as they talk with our engineers.
We are looking for people that feel the same as we do about programming and building great products. Our teams value individuals that are responsible, skilled, helpful, and kind. If you're the type of person to value a smart well thought through solution over a hacky one you'll be in good company. A passion for learning will be invaluable as you get up to speed as we integrate with workday systems, build cutting edge UI and a myriad of other projects. You're the type of person that recognize your team relies on you, but you know how to lead by identifying when to push forward and when to take a step back to balance your work and personal life.
Day-to-day, you will be responsible for taking high level ideas and designs and transforming them into fully functional features. Using things like our GraphQL backend, modular front-end components, and automated tests you will be part of the team delivering on milestones that you have a part in setting. High-quality solutions, working with others, and the ability to deliver an idea from concept to production are our key metrics for success.
You're probably keen to hear about our tech stack:
• Our application is built on Ruby on Rails 6
• Out BE and FE talk using GraphQL
• We take full advantage of Postgres with a trigger-based time machine, SQL views, and a willingness to drop from ActiveRecord to raw SQL when it makes sense.
• AWS is our product's home.
• We're really enjoying React, Typescript and SCSS.
• Sidekiq, Redis, ElasticSearch and websockets definitely play their parts.
And curious about our engineering workflow:
• We have a cross between agile and waterfall principles with upfront planning, 2 week sprints, standups, retros
• We release to production once a sprint, and can more often when required
• Jira and Slack help us coordinate across continents and time zones.
• Gitlab helps us improve each other's code, and our well-tuned linter keeps reviews quick on style and heavy on substance.
• Our QA team works hard to catch issues, bugs, and cross-browser glitches before we merge a pull request into the mainline, and again before release in the bi-weekly smoke test.
• Gitlab CI gives us the power to continually improve our automated testing infrastructure.
Must Have Skills:
• Minimum 5+ years software development experience
• Minimum 2+ years RoR experience
• Proposes the pragmatic solution to painful problems
• Finds opportunities to teach others
• Loves to hear about the value our work delivers to our customers
• Kindly and consistently pushes the team forward, but knows how to pick their battles
Nice to Have Skills:
Nice To Have:
• Experience (or interest in) data engineering, API design or integrations
• Experience (or interest in) event-driven architectures
• Experience with Postgres and writing well tuned queries
We know not every journey is the same and value diverse experiences. We want to provide our engineers with a place to grow. If you're curious to learn more, apply!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.