Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Permanent
We are seeking a Director of Engineering to manage, shape, and grow our fast-growing engineering team. You will be in the driver's seat, directing architecture and development for one of our internal engineering teams and working directly inside our tech. We are in the midst of building a two-sided marketplace through a strategic application of technology, and we need a curious, futuristic leader who can help us execute this vision.
- Strategize and deliver league goals alongside the overall engineering team.
- Ship quality software efficiently, and predictably, to meet the demands of our customers.
- Build a high-performance, world-class engineering team.
- You will directly mentor, coach, and nurture both engineering managers and engineers towards success!
- Collaborate with engineering leadership on strategic planning to evolve our architecture, security, and scale without sacrificing product delivery.
- Partner with our Product team to drive long-term roadmaps from ideation to execution, and onward through continuous iteration.
- Expand our engineering team by working closely with our Talent team to recruit, hire, and onboard top talent.
- Foster a collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on teamwork, diversity, and creative innovation.
- Create continuous learning and development plans to further develop your team’s engineering skills and product knowledge. We believe technical and human development is key to our success!
Must Have Skills:
- You have 9+ years of experience as an engineer across various tech environments. Bonus points if you’ve been a staff level engineer in one area of engineering.
- You are a seasoned leader with 5+ years of experience managing engineers. You are motivated by empowering the people around you and watching them thrive!
- You have managed managers for 3+ years and have learned how to sustain and upgrade their leadership capabilities. You have also led an entire department or team of 20+ people.
- You understand agile methodology, a variety of programming languages, and relish getting deep into code!
- You are able to bring people together to create an empowering and inclusive work environment.
- You know your way around a variety of tech platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, ETL, and Web) built on top of a distributed system in either Kotlin, Golang, or Python. You pay attention to both our architecture and system design and you understand the impact of Conways’ Law.
- You have experience with AWS or GCP and have previously developed software-at-scale.
- You are passionate about DevOps culture and modern Infrastructure practices (i.e. CI/CD), and have knowledge in QA, automated testing, and testing frameworks.
- You are incredibly curious and always learning about technology and people