Senior Engineering Manager
Senior Engineering Manager
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely
Our client is a global brand synonymous with Sports and Gaming. Their platform is home to millions of sports fans around the world and provides them with digital media and sports betting. Their app is the most popular of its kind in North America and delivers sports fans unique and highly personalized live scores, news, stats and betting information from their favourite sports teams, leagues and players. Their new betting app delivers a highly immersive mobile betting experience. They are a publicly traded company :)
They are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead a team of Technologists that are building products that cater to millions of users while working alongside the CTO as well as the VP of Platform Engineering.
Your Typical Day:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of one or more software development teams, providing goal setting, mentorship, coaching, leadership, guidance and performance management and feedback.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to ensure team health, knowledge sharing and deliverables are defined and met.
- Ensure development deliverables are documented and key decisions are recorded in accordance with the design and development process.
- Help with hiring initiatives across the engineering department.
- Assist in identifying process problems and contribute to the continual enhancement of the design, development processes and system architecture.
- Ensure development follows the development process throughout the development lifecycle.
- Establish success metrics (KPIs and SLAs) and monitor team and system performance.
- Collaborate with the team to meet performance, scalability, and reliability goals.
- Stay current with trends, techniques, technology and other factors impacting the job incorporating as deemed necessary.
- Other duties as required.
Must Have Skills:
A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, distributed systems, and software/system design.
Minimum 3-5 years in a leadership or management role combined with at least 10 years of experience in software development.
Experience leading teams of 20 engineers or more.
Demonstrated time management, project management and problem solving skills.
Ability to communicate complex technical information to various stakeholders, including non-technical members of the organization.
Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative work style with the ability to effectively collaborate and work with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects while adhering to strict deadlines.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Excellent teamwork and team building skills with a proven ability to delegate.
- Experience with modern framework and API development (Ruby on Rails, Phoenix, Node, Django, etc).
- Experience with background job processing and messaging systems (Kafka, Oban, Sidekiq, Celery, Beanstalk, RabbitMQ).
- NICE TO HAVE: Elixir, building GraphQL APIs (Absinthe), GraphQL schema stitching & subscriptions, GCP, Kubernetes, public speaking, contribution to open - source software, experience working at startups, passion for sports and/or esports.
- Ship features that impact millions of users.
- Work on large distributed systems spanning public cloud and on-prem locations.
- Learn how to manage workloads, at scale, running on Kubernetes
- Contribute to a federated GraphQL API used by millions of clients.
- Competitive salary with Employee Share Purchase Plan.
- Comprehensive Benefits package.
- Education and conference reimbursement.
- Top of the line office hardware
- 100% Remote Friendly!
- Parental leave top-up.