Director of Engineering (Mobile)
Director of Engineering (Mobile)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Permanent
We are seeking a Director of Engineering to manage, shape, and grow our mobile engineering team. You will be directing architecture and development for one of our engineering departments, and working directly inside our tech. We are in the midst of building a two-sided marketplace through a strategic application of technology, and we need a curious, futuristic leader who can help us execute this vision.
We currently have one team consisting of both Android, iOS Engineers, and QA. It is our intent to double the number of Mobile Engineers and create two separate teams, one focused on each technology. Each will eventually have an Engineering Manager (we already have one Engineering Manager) who will report into this role.
- Strategize and deliver league goals alongside the overall engineering team.
- Ship quality software efficiently and predictably, to meet the demands of our drivers.
- Build a high-performance, world-class engineering team.
- You will directly mentor, coach, and nurture both engineering managers and engineers towards success!
- Collaborate with engineering leadership on strategic planning to evolve our architecture, security, and scale without sacrificing product delivery.
- Partner with our Product team to drive long-term roadmaps from ideation to execution, and onward through continuous iteration.
- Expand our engineering team by working closely with our Talent team to recruit, hire, and onboard top talent.
- Foster a collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on teamwork, diversity, and creative innovation.
- Create continuous learning and development plans to further develop your team’s engineering skills and product knowledge. We believe technical and human development is key to our success!
Must Have Skills:
Who you are:
- You have roughly 9+ years of experience as an engineer across various mobile tech environments. Bonus points if you’ve been a staff level engineer in one area of engineering.
- You are a seasoned leader with 5+ years of experience managing engineers. You are motivated by empowering the people around you and watching them thrive!
- You have managed managers for 3+ years and have learned how to sustain and upgrade their leadership capabilities. You have also led an entire department or team of 12+ engineering humans.
- You understand agile methodology, a variety of programming languages, and relish getting deep into code!
- You are able to bring humans together to create an empowering and inclusive work environment.
- You know your way around a variety of tech platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, ETL, and Web) built on top of a distributed system in either Kotlin, Golang, or Python. You pay attention to both our architecture and system design and you understand the impact of Conways’ Law.
- You have built multiple Mobile Apps, in multiple organisations - first as an engineer, then later through other humans.
- You have experience with unblocking Mobile engineers throughout an Engineering organisation, to get the APIs, or GraphQL built so the Mobile Engineers can do their jobs.
- You have experience with AWS or GCP and have previously developed software-at-scale.
- You are passionate about DevOps culture and modern Infrastructure practices (i.e. CI/CD), and have knowledge in QA, automated testing, and testing frameworks.
- You are incredibly curious and always learning about technology and humans.