Remote, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely†
Our client is a SaaS/fintech startup that ensures injury victims are awarded the full value of their claims, expanding the $100B+ in awards granted to injury victims every year. Every year, the legal system has made it difficult for millions of ordinary people to seek justice, especially for folks without means or who come from underrepresented backgrounds. Their vision is to help these injury victims get the justice they deserve, irrespective of their income, demographics, or the quality of their legal representation.
Their cases include police brutality cases, child abuse cases, California wildfire and motor vehicle accidents. For attorneys, they build ML-driven software that helps them put a dollar value on what their cases are worth, arming them with data to win larger settlements, faster. For personal injury victims, they provide funding for their cases, so they can pursue their cases without settling early. The more cases they evaluate and fund, the more proprietary data they collect, the more accurate their predictions, delivering greater value to both attorneys and victims.
As one of the fastest growing startups ($0 to ~$2M in ARR in ~1 year), they've raised $15M in investment from some of the best investors in the world (Signalfire, NFX, Tribe Capital, Greenoaks), seasoned tech executives (i.e. founder of Quora, SVP at Google, former CPO at Uber), and public figures that care about their social mission (Nas, Jared Leto, Byron Jones). Their team comes from top tech, legal, and investing backgrounds including Waymo, Google, Amazon, Uber, Quora, Vimeo, Blizzard, Norton Rose, Warburg Pincus, Bain, Oliver Wyman.
By joining their team, you will:- Build impactful technology: You will build first-of-a-kind technology that will transform an analog industry to improve the lives of millions of injury victims that got their lives turned upside down at no fault of their own.
- Have an immediate impact on a small and tightly-knit team: Be a key part of building the foundational blocks of their software and the team culture. Start shipping production code in less than two weeks!
- Be a core part of their engineering team: Be a key part of building the foundational blocks of their software and the team culture. Build and deploy and work on their core software product, whereby youíll tackle hard problems, explore and deliver solutions while working with key people across the organization.
- Work with a world-class team: Their team has deep expertise in technology, machine learning, law, and finance, combining experiences from careers at Google, Uber, Waymo, Quora, Vimeo, Blizzard, and more.
- Learn new technologies from the best: Their team emphasizes a culture of continual learning and you will have opportunities to work on projects in machine learning, data engineering, back-end, front-end, and DevOps.
- Work with their tech stack: Python, Django, React, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Dagster, etc.
You may be a fit for this if you:- 5+ years of experience leading and managing cross-functional teams to deliver products and projects on tight deadlines.
- experience or experience with backend and frontend languages (their stack is Python, Django, React, Postgres, Elasticsearch, Dagster) and a desire to learn.
- Are excited about a role that asks you to lead by example and want to support your direct reports.
- Have the ability to wear many hats and no job is too small for you.
- Get things done and you love working in a dynamic environment; they move quickly and they need a teammate who will too.
- Understand, appreciate, and enjoy the responsibility and accountability that comes with being assigned high-level ownership over projects and their success.
- Have a knack for explaining technical processes concisely (even to non-engineers), and work well with cross-functional internal teams.
- Are looking to learn and grow, knowing that this position will involve a lot of ambiguity to deal with, with the support from the organization to help you navigate it.
A successful first year may look like:In the past year, their engineering and data science team grew from 1 to ~10 and they rolled out infrastructure updates, new products, and updates to existing workflows - combining data, ML frontend and backend work. 2022 is an exciting year for them; they expect the technical team to triple to 30+ as they deliver on a roadmap to handle 10x their current volume. As their teamís headcount continues to grow, they are looking for an Engineering Manager who can balance both people management and technical contributions. An Engineering Manager should be comfortable managing high performers and motivating direct reports to take high ownership and accountability for their work while setting an example of the team by also contributing direct hands-on work.
Benefits & Perks:Our client seeks to empower all of their team members to fulfill their mission of making the world a more just place, regardless of their teamís function, geography or experience level. To that end, they offer:
- Fully remote setup - work from wherever you feel is best (Plus stipend to upgrade your home office!).
- Flexible working hours to match your style.
- Offsites - get to meet your coworkers on a fully-expensed trip every 6-12 months!
- Choice of great medical, dental, and vision insurance plan options.
- Flexible/unlimited paid time off.
- A variety of virtual team events such as musical performances, game nights & happy hours.