Senior DevOps Engineer
Senior DevOps Engineer
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely†
Since being founded in 2011, our client has grown from 3,000 local users to more than 100 million registered users worldwide. As one of the fastest-growing EdTech startups in North America, they connect students, parents, teachers, and school districts with resources with the goal of promoting a lifelong love of learning. Anyone with an internet connection is welcome to create a free account for their popular Math Game for grades 1 to 8. They also provide online math tutoring via certified teachers who adapt their style and lessons to teach students in the way they learn best.
Their engineering team builds and operates a high performance, scalable, reliable, and, secure technology platform that will allow them to transform education and deliver effective learning experiences to every student in the world. They do this by building for tomorrow, failing fast and early, and empowering each other to make things better.
Their Engineering teams are scaling rapidly as they continue to hit product and growth milestones, and itís an exciting time for the company! To continue their exponential growth, they are adding some more development talent to their Engineering teams.
They're now looking for Senior DevOps Engineers to join the Infrastructure (AppOps) team at various levels. Their team is responsible for accelerating development across the company by giving engineering teams better access to operation skills and knowledge. They aim to improve developer happiness and productivity with better development tools and workflows, and ultimately achieve higher levels of software quality and reliability, so that we can give all children access to fun math education.
Your Impact:● Work with modern infrastructure tools like Kubernetes, Istio, Flux, Terraform, Helm, Docker and DevSpace
● Collaborate with and support engineering teams to establish a standard of high availability and reliability for our production systems
● Build automated tooling to configure and maintain our systems and services
● Catch production errors and performance issues early with automated monitoring and alerting
● Implement cost savings initiatives and optimizations that directly affect our bottom line
● Demonstrate accountability, leadership in the delivery of work, and be trusted to resolve unclear but urgent tasks
● Be part of a close team, who help each other solve problems and grow in ability
Must Have Skills:
● 3+ years in a formal DevOps role, preferably in high traffic/volume environments
● Expertise running containerized services in Kubernetes on AWS or GCP in production
● Experience using Infrastructure as Code and proficient with tools such as Terraform and Helm
● Experience programming in at least one language: Node.js, Python, Go or Ruby
● Strong communication skills and an eagerness to share your knowledge with team members
● Quick learner, regardless of the languages and technologies used
Core Technologies:● Amazon Web Services extensively
● Kubernetes on EKS
● Istio service mesh
● RDS Aurora Postgres for storage and Redis for caching
● Terraform and Helm for Infrastructure as Code
● GitHub for version control and GitHub Actions continuous integration (CI)
● Flux enabled application deployment (CD)
● Datadog, Prometheus and Grafana for monitoring, logs and alerting
● DevSpace for fast cloud-native software development
● Sentry for error tracking
● Dockerized Node.js, Python, Go and Ruby applications