Lead Backend Developer
Lead Backend Developer
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Permanent
We’re looking for a talented Backend Lead Developer to lead, coach, mentor and work with our development to build and maintain a rock-solid server layer, an eye for design and ability to converse with our designers to produce the best version of our user interface.
- Lead, coach, mentor, and work with other developers to design and implement secure, scalable, highly available services using our core web technologies - Django, PostgreSQL, Celery, and GraphQL.
- Make recommendations for the development and implementation of complex projects that require comprehensive and in-depth analysis and understanding of the client’s requirements.
- Lead, measure and monitor service performance and reliability, participating in the on-call rotation.
- Improve our existing services and troubleshoot customer issues when they come in.
- Build innovative new features to support our growing enterprise customer base, with a strong empathy for the end-user experience.
- Write clean, efficient code to the latest industry standards.
- Take ownership of the web application backend and be responsible for the technical mentorship of other developers.
- Participate in code reviews both as contributor and reviewer - We all review each other’s work here!
Must Have Skills:
- 1 to 3 years of Lead experience
- Provide an advisory role to the development team
- Provide both functional and technical leadership within projects
- Review code and architecture to ensure that they comply with the company's development standards and industry best practices
- Write, modify, review, optimize and debug computer code
- Contribute to the development and improvement of work methods and procedures
- In depth knowledge and experience with Python3, Django, PostgreSQL, Celery, and GraphQL.
- Strong ORM data modeling skills (Django preferred).
- Follows security best practices (familiarity with OWASP top 10, OAuth/Auth0, and Django roles and groups)
- A sense of ownership over what you build, thinking through all the edge cases and angles. You’re not just looking for a fully fleshed-out spec thrown over the wall for you to code; you’re able to empathize with the end-user to produce the best solution for them.
- Communication skills for discussions with our product, design and development teams.
- A strong desire to learn new tools, practices and technologies.
- Experience with modern cloud technologies (we use Kubernetes on Google Cloud Platform)
- Degree in Computer Science/Software Development or equivalent work experience