Sr. Backend Engineer
Sr. Backend Engineer
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This job allows you to work remotely
We are a rewards platform on a mission to inspire people to live their optimal lives by empowering them financially. Through our personalized platform, we intelligently surfaces the right brands, at the right time, to make members’ everyday better than it was before. Powered by machine learning, our platform matches consumers with over 500+ partner brands to satisfy two main goals: to earn points from their purchases and redeem them for instant rewards.
Headquartered in Toronto, with an office in New York, We are backed by world-class investors including NEA, HOF, Royal Bank of Canada, Sierra Ventures, and White Star Capital.
Engineering is at the core of our ability to scale. We strive for automation, intelligence, and simplicity in all of our products and infrastructure.
We are responsible for continuously processing hundreds of millions of financial transactions while delivering a polished and engaging experience for users. Our product challenges span across both the consumer space (B2C) and the retailer space (B2B).
Our approach to development and collaboration welcomes engineers whom are full stack and/or specialize in a particular domain (frontend, backend, data, etc). We operate at all levels of the stack: building mobile-first apps with technologies like React Native to deliver elegant UIs, scaling highly parallelized APIs and banking integrations to get a 360-degree view of user spending habits and share of wallet, developing data infrastructure to deliver insights and enable the business to efficiently drive impact, and more.
As an Engineering team, we value code quality, testability, scalable engineering design, and continuous process improvement. We leverage modern technologies, such as React Native, Ruby/Rails, Postgres, Redshift, Docker, Kubernetes, and more. We maintain an efficient development environment to keep productive and rapidly innovate. Our key collaborators are product managers, designers, and other stakeholders (marketing, business development, customer support) who partner as entrepreneurial peers on a daily basis.
What kinds of challenges will the Backend Engineer be working on?
• Implement robust monitoring systems to ensure users are efficiently earning points, discovering offers, linking cards, and more to sustain a healthy platform.
• Enable deeper exploration of spending patterns for offer optimization through the re-architecture of our data stores.
• Improve our Kubernetes clusters to enable easy zero downtime deployment of our various services for a culture of continuous deployment.
• Scale systems to ingest hundreds of gigabytes of transaction data streamed from financial institutions while efficiently calculating and distributing points.
• Categorize millions of transactions for offer personalization and point distribution.
• Detect and prevent instances of fraud based on attributes of spending and much more.
Must Have Skills:
What you bring to the table:
• You have 5+ years of experience in software engineering
• You are comfortable working on different parts of the backend stack and applying architectural patterns.
• You have experience building in a production environment using modern web frameworks, service-oriented architectures, and scalable datastores.
• You write testable and maintainable code to produce quality systems using engineering best practices.
• You provide meaningful code reviews across technical domains.
• You have experience with relational databases and best practices.
• You are comfortable working on partially or ambiguously scoped projects.
• Relevant post-secondary education, traditional or non-traditional (degree, bootcamp, etc) or equivalent working experience.
• You are able to guide and foster technical discussions with humility and a learning mindset, advocating for high-quality technical decisions.
• You proactively find and spearhead impactful initiatives to improve our technical stack.
• You are interested in mentoring engineers, communicating best practices and helping others become force multipliers.
Nice to Have Skills:
Bonus points if:
• You’ve worked with Ruby/Rails, Postgres, Redis, Docker, or Kubernetes
• You have worked on scaling architecture and improving performance as the product grows
• You’ve built financial, loyalty, or rewards systems
• You’re passionate about building the next generation rewards product
• You thrive in a fast-paced environment; startup experience is not a strict requirement but a bonus. We welcome people from all work backgrounds and recognizes the value of diversity
• Lifestyle Spending Accounts and Health Spending Accounts + drug, dental, travel, and group insurance coverage
• Flexible vacation + a work-anywhere-in-the-world program
• Parental leave benefits
• Stock options
We are committed to providing an enjoyable and meaningful environment for every member of our team. We operate under a flat structure with minimal hierarchy where everyone’s opinion is valued equally. We are looking for team members with an entrepreneurial mindset who will thrive in a fast-paced and rewarding environment.
We are also proud to be a diverse and equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.